Personal survival

Jan 09, 1997 09:53 AM
by Michael

Triaist wrote:

>I'm not sure how often this topic comes up on this list, but I haven't seen it
>on here in the four or five months that I've been on, so here goes.  I have a
>few questions about the different theories of the people on this list as far
>as what takes place during the "death".

and:
>The type of NDE's I am referring to are the ones where people believe that
>they have "seen and spoken to God".  some after a tunnel, some not.  I was
>wondering if anyone has some speculation on what the image of the tunnel
>actually is, whether it be nomenal or phenomenal, or simply an overactive
>imagination.

I have devoted quite a few pages on my site to the personal survival problem
and more in my book "Dood geen Einde" (Death no End) , particularly the
Spiritualists' point of view. It is my opinion that Theosophists should
acquaint themselves far more with mediumistic phenomena because from that
stable came the movement but severed its connections for various reasons,
although HPB continued to act as a medium. For me the clue to the
communications of the Masters lies in similar inspired writings (Old
Testament). Communicators born out of fantasy  may take on quite a solid
appearance. I have given an example in my summary  of the "Philip"
experiments by Canadian parapsycholgists (see my page on the "presence
phenomenon") of a product of fantasy being  evoked which made itself
physically known.

As to NDE's there are two camps now. The rational explanation connecting all
experiences to a dramatization of brain death processes on account of lack
of oxygen, versus those of insiders who give it a spiritualist explanation
based on their own experiences of stories of  thousands of  patients. As to
my self I believe both parties may have a bit of the truth. It is obvious
that dramatization plays a part specifically the heavenly figures seen later
who vary according to belief. In my opinion it goes too far to dismiss all,
considering  the great impact the experience makes on patients which cannot
be explaned by mere dramatization.
Michael
Amsterdam, Netherlands
http://www.xs4all.nl/~wichm/index.html