Re: Karma

Jan 08, 1997 09:07 PM
by Titus Roth

>> Titus wrote

> and kymsmith@micron.net responded:

>> True in a sense. But on grand time scales, I think human beings *are* an
>> exception. Man, having consciousness, has a different destiny than mineral,
>> plant or animal life.

> A different destiny?  How many different destinies are there?

I don't think, for example, that a plant reincarnates and will become more
conscious. That's one difference in destiny. Animals are invaluable supports
to man and may reincarnate, but I don't think they will evolve in
consciousness as we do. Is there a statement behind the question?

>> Jesus also drew many analogies with human life from
>> nature, nevertheless He put man on a different footing than anything else in
>> creation. For example (Matthew 10:29-31)
>>
>> "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on
>> the ground without your Father ...
>>
>> "Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows."

> Ecclesiastes 4: 18-21
>
> "I also thought, "As for men, God tests them so they they may see that they
> are like the animals.  Man's fate is like that of the animals; the same fate
> awaits them both:  As one dies, so does the other.  All have the same
> breath; man has no advantage over the animal.  Everything is meaningless.
> All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return.  Who
> knows if the spirit of man rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes
> down into the earth?"

In my very pedestrian understanding of Ecclesiastes, it seems to me the author
is using another example of how transitory one life is. We will lose all
earthly things we vainly strive for - and in this respect share the same fate
as animals. "All is vanity and vexation of spirit." Are you interpreting it
differently? Please say more.

>> It really boils down to how God can give us free will, but nevertheless
>> keep us from using that free will to permanently get on the wrong track.
>> Though it looks ridiculously simple, the answer is: karma!

> Karma, in a way, has negated the need for God.  Karma takes the place of
> God, performs all justice, offers all reward.  What is God's role as long as
> karma rules?

There is more to life than karma. God is certainly large enough to contain the
law of sowing and reaping - and then some. There are "gifts" from God that we
certainly haven't fully earned, but receive out of His Love. Kind of like a
parent asking that a child earn some money, but then giving double what the
child earns once he has shown he is responsible.