Re: The Limits of Free Will

Jan 08, 1997 10:02 AM
by John Straughn

Bart Lidofsky writes:
>Tom Robertson wrote:
>> I would be curious to know the name of the individual who arbitrarily
>> decided that 2+2=4.  But I'm flattered that you told my idea to several of
>> your friends.  I'd like to see a "formal proof" that 2+2 might not be 4,
>> also.  When might 2+2 become 5?
>
>	Without the use of mathematics (i.e. without circular reasoning),
>please explain the meaning of 2 + 2 = 4. Mathematics is meaningless
>without mathematics; it is a self-contained, self-referential system.
>
>	Bart Lidofsky
There is a phsics equation in existence, I have seen it and tested it, which
allows 1 + 1 to equal 1.  I'm going to talk to a physics instructor in the
area soon and see if I can get it for you.  As far as explaining 2 + 2 = 4
without using mathematics ...well I'll take a crack at it.  First of all, 2
and 4 are merely symbols used to define a certain number.  And "number" is a
symbol used to define and to help the psyche better understand quantity.  2
represents a certain quantity, however, that specific quantity is not always
equal, whether it is represnted by the two or not.  Two plus two equals four
means absolutely nothing by itself.  All numbers are not nouns, even though
they may be thought of in that way mathematically.  They are in actuality
adjectives which qualify, perhaps a better word would even be quantify, a
noun.

For instance, mathematically, 2 + 2 = 4 seems logical.  However, that is only
illusionary logic because when I say two plus two equals four, I could be
talking about an entirely different quantity than when you say it.  I can tell
you right now that I figured out the radius of the cosmos and can prove it
mathematically.  For info, it's 2.  2 what?  I'm sure you can figure out how i
did it.  Anyhow back to the point.

Like I said, numbers are qualifiers of nouns, not nouns.  In my hand I have an
apple.  In my other hand I just happen to have another apple.  These two
apples look nothing alike.  One is twice as big as the other and one has green
skin and one has red.  Nevertheless, I choose to call them apples.  Notice I
said two just now.  I could have said three if I had wanted to, it really
doesn't matter.  But in order for my to call it three I have to change my
whole concept of three.  Three would no longer be able to represent what I
have let it represent most of the years of my life.  So, to avoid confusion
and rediculous nonsense, I chose to represent the apples as a quantity by a
symbol called two.

Oh my GOSH!  You'll never believe this, but each apple just self-replicated
right before my eyes!  Please excuse me for a second while I pick the clones
up off of the floor...

Ok.  Because my apples just cloned themselves, I have realized that I now have
increased the quantity of apples by exactly the amount of apples I had before.
 Now, logically, I can name the newly replicated apples' quantity with the
same symbol that I named their parents.  I shall represent the new quantity
with the number 2.

OKAY!  Here goes.  I just lined up the two quantities of apples on the table
in front of me and I have decided to take these two quantities and make them
one quantity.  To do this, I need to name the new quantity.  Once again, to
avoid confusion, I will name the new quantity with a different symbol than the
one I used to represent the smaller quantities.  I'll call it four.  Four
sounds good.  Now that I have defined my quantities, I can come to a reasonble
conclusion that two apples plus two apples equals four apples.  However, like
all things, this is only a relative deduction, for you can symbolize your
quantities in any way you want to.

In answer to Tom's question:
by using your free will to decide that the symbol four should be replaced by
the symbol five, 2 + 2 can equal 5.

Oh yeah, and if you can convince the masses to do the same, a different method
of learning may evolve.  Who knows?
---
The Triaist