Re: Karma (Re-submission)

Jan 07, 1997 05:50 PM
by kymsmith

Titus wrote:

>>> I admit there are people who I wonder about (half serious here), but a
>>> little voice inside me whispers the question, "Why would God create someone
>>> who is damned?"

Unless "God" is a wasteful "God" or prone to fundamental error, I do not see
how the answer to that question could be anything but "S/He/It wouldn't."

>True in a sense. But on grand time scales, I think human beings *are* an
>exception. Man, having consciousness, has a different destiny than mineral,
>plant or animal life.

A different destiny?  How many different destinies are there?

>Jesus also drew many analogies with human life from
>nature, nevertheless He put man on a different footing than anything else in
>creation. For example (Matthew 10:29-31)
>
>"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on
>the ground without your Father ...
>
>"Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows."

Ecclesiastes 4: 18-21

"I also thought, "As for men, God tests them so they they may see that they
are like the animals.  Man's fate is like that of the animals; the same fate
awaits them both:  As one dies, so does the other.  All have the same
breath; man has no advantage over the animal.  Everything is meaningless.
All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return.  Who
knows if the spirit of man rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes
down into the earth?"

                                                   (New International)

The Good Book seems a bit ambiguous on the subject of the "footing."

>>> It really boils down to how God can give us free will, but nevertheless
>>> keep us from using that free will to permanently get on the wrong track.
>>> Though it looks ridiculously simple, the answer is: karma!

Karma, in a way, has negated the need for God.  Karma takes the place of
God, performs all justice, offers all reward.  What is God's role as long as
karma rules?

Kym