Justice and Love

Jan 05, 1997 10:26 PM
by Tom Robertson

I am unclear about how justice and love relate to each other.  Are they an
example of yin and yang, with justice being an example of the masculine
yang and love being an example of the feminine yin?

Jesus said, "you have heard that it was said by them of old, 'an eye for an
eye, and a tooth for a tooth.'  But I say to you, 'love your enemies.'"
Did he mean to do away with justice and replace it with love, or might he
have meant to balance the two?  Shouldn't love for others be balanced with
standing up for one's own rights, or is it never right to be selfish in
that way?  If love should rule over justice, does that mean that we should
let others take advantage of us and trust that justice is inevitable?
Isn't revenge based on the quest for justice, and yet isn't it also the
antithesis of love?  Does forgiveness mean being a doormat?

The ongoing political debate between left wing and right wing could be
characterized with these two concepts.  The individualistic, competitive
right wing stresses justice, whereas the collectivistic, cooperative left
wing stresses unity.  Is one better than the other or should they be
balanced?  They are closely related.  Justice for individuals maximizes the
incentive to contribute to society.  Too much competition destroys the
social fabric.  Too much cooperation destroys individual strength.

I lean toward believing that justice and love are equal opposites which
should be balanced.