evolution

Jan 04, 1997 06:33 PM
by liesel f. deutsch

Michael writes:

>To learn is also inherited. Some will never learn and it remains to be seen
>whether they are entirely responsible or victims of "fate". It looks like
>the Christian pre-ordination dogma is to be dusted of.

Aha, the old argument of heredity vs. environment. I'll agree that some
people are born more intelligent than others, but a lot of good learning
comes with training by skilled teachers. We had a girl in school who was
really not bright enough to go to university. She studied day and night, and
in the end she got her degree.

>I have seen this example occur many times with people I know/knew, yet
>wonder whether it is psychology or karma.

Michael, I don't have any objections to your calling it psychology. I think
psychology is one of the realms of knowledge which gives us greater insight
into how what I call Karma works. If you build levees and high sandbanks at
a place on the side of a river where it's in the habit of flooding every
Spring, you're using your knowledge of physical science, hoping to keep the
houses on the bank of the river out of harm's way. Having your house flooded
or not is also Karma, and by building a levee, you might be changing it for
the better. If you're unlucky, the levee isn't high enough.

Liesel