Re: Married Adepts

Dec 23, 1996 05:32 PM
by m.k. ramadoss

On Mon, 23 Dec 1996, Ann E. Bermingham wrote:
> MKR:
> > >In the general model followed by TS(Adyar) after HPB, there is a
> > >general belief about the need to avoid meat, alcohol and if possible
> > >sex (both within the marriage and outside).
>
> Sounds like they were creating an ashram for sannyasins.  I have
> seen people embrace this because it was natural to their ascetic
> personalities.  And then there were others who were highly advanced
> and did none of the above.  Blanket rules are only good for those
> who are already bent towards those ideas.  Then, some people like
> HPB, forge their own path.

   In the traditional Indian Sanyasins have to irrevocably give up
everything  and even give up their name and have a new one so that you
cutoff from everything in the past.  In addition, no sanyasin can possess
and or control either directly or indirectly anything of value or power.

  The true sanyasin is really and truly a free person in its widest term
and also no traditional rules apply to one.

MKR