Questions on Karma

Dec 15, 1996 05:48 AM
by Tom Robertson

1) If karma means that justice is inevitable, does that mean that it is
never good to act against injustice?  Doesn't not acting against injustice
sanction it, and therefore encourage it, and therefore deserve it, so that,
to the one who did not act against it, it is no longer injustice?

2) If karma means that we can never hope to get any more or less than we
have paid for, is there any ultimate gain or loss in anything?  Does it then
even matter what we do?

3) Is there good and bad karma, or just karma?

The best answer I have to 1) is that I find it intuitively distasteful to
passively accept injustice, in spite of it being the apparently logical
conclusion to do so.

Similarly, with 2), striving to grow intuitively seems worth the effort, in
spite of the intellectual conclusion that the reward is only equal to the
effort.

With 3), it depends on whose perspective is being referred to.  Since karma
can be pleasant or painful, believing in it has motivational power.  But
from an acentric point of view, it has no value.  Whether it is good or bad
depends on its relationship to its object.