Re: The ole' ball and chain

Dec 14, 1996 06:52 PM
by Tom Robertson

At 02:13 AM 12/15/96 +0000, Kym wrote:
>Tom wrote:
>
>>>(Kym) Is this an attempt at humor?
>
>>No, it was a _successful_ attempt, obviously.
>
>To have replied "No, there was no attempt involved, it was humor, and damn
>good humor at that" would have been cleaner, clearer, and stronger.

Yes, but I am not the type to presume to congratulate myself like that.  I
equate self-deprecation, regardless of how phony and false it is, with humility.

>>First of all, you should thank me for being such a spiritual ally to you
>>that I have given you such a rare opportunity for growth in tolerance,
>>patience, and compassion.

>You've also provided me growth in other areas.

You're welcome.

>>You would probably rather be barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen, where
>>you OUGHT to be.

>A sexist, a "fruitist," and now a satirist!  How do you juggle it all?

You bring out the best in me.

>>That was cruel to get my hopes up like that.  But I'll keep trying.  Will
>>you marry me?

>Well, what have we here?  After giving your proposal some thought (knowing
>how you toy not with women's emotions) I realized the greatest favor I could
>do us both was to politely refuse.  For the following would have occurred:
>You would have left me standing, broken-hearted and humiliated, at the
>altar,

All of this implication of uncertainty, pointing out what an agonizingly
difficult decision it was and how deeply hurt you always are at my absence
sounds awfully tentative, half-hearted, and indecisive.  Like the _typical_
woman, are you leading me on?

>And you think I'm malicious. . .

Sadistic might be a better word.

>I look forward to being one of your greatest spiritual allies.

Me, too.  Sadists and I get along well.  Even at my most sexist, I only
meant that _most_ men, not all of them, naturally dominate women.