Re: Sexism

Dec 13, 1996 04:24 PM
by Ann E. Bermingham

----------
> From: John Straughn <JTarn@envirolink.org>
>
> Ann E. Bermingham writes:
> >This is changing.  There was an article I found the Sunday Sun-Times a
few
> >weeks
> >ago that says that men are entering fields that were traditionally
thought
> >to be for
> >women.  It has to do with the tighter job market and the fact that some
men
> >are
> >beginning to feel that they are better suited for those jobs.  For
example,
> >men are
> >now training to become nurses.
>
> Very true.  In fact, just recently, I was hired for the summer at a bank.

> Unfortunately, I later found out, (actually I knew all along), that I got
the
> job simply because a girl-friend of mine worked there and had a lot of
> influence.

Someone once told me it's not what you know, but who you know.

John:
> >> Most men are pigs, I won't deny that.

ANN:
> >But their curly tales are so cute.

John:
> hehehe.  We squeak nicely if you pull them too.

Ann:
Squeaks are for mice.  Squeals are for everyone.

Ann:
> >Do you have the statistics to back this up?  Personally, I'd love to
have
> >a nice young guy for my secretary. ;-)

John:
> No.  No statistics, but I'll find them.  They're out there somewhere.
BTW,
> where do I put in my application?  *Big, cheesy grin*
> ---
Yes, the truth is out there, John.

Application?  Unfortunately, the position of my personal assistant is
currently being filled by my husband.

-Ann E. Bermingham