Re: Tom Robertson, Theosophist

Dec 13, 1996 04:51 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

RIhle@aol.com wrote:

> Bart Lidofsky writes-->
> Tom is my brother. I do not, however, believe that the Theosophical Society
> is the right place for him at this time.
>
> Richard Ihle writes-->
> Well, I'm not sure I agree with you here, Bart.
>
> I think it may have something to do with a possible difference in how we
> regard the ~Theosophical~ in the ~Theosophical Society~.  Some people insist
> that it refers to SPECIFIC DOCTRINE (usually HPB's writings); other people
> think it properly refers to an EPISTEMOLOGY which gives potential validity to
> "knowledge which has its base in, or at least originally derives from,
> transcendental, mystical, or intuitive insight or higher perception."

	The only qualification for belonging to the Theosophical Society is
endorsement of the Three Objects. Tom's statements to which I was
replying strongly implied that he did not agree with the First Object,
in spite of his protestations otherwise. Note that I did not say that he
was not right for the Theosophical Society; I said that I did not
believe that the Theosophical Society was right for him.

	Bart Lidofsky