Re: THEOS-L digest 750

Dec 07, 1996 04:17 PM
by Ann E. Bermingham

> From: John Straughn <JTarn@envirolink.org>
>
> In some cases, this (strive for balance) is true.  However, in most that
I've
> encountered, women have realized this control that they have over men,
and
> they use it to their full advantage.  Just IMO.  So, in actuality,
society is
> going from one extreme to the other.  Either that or it has always been
this
> way.  In fact, I often wonder if, for all these years, women have simply
> allowed men to believe that they are superior, by protesting chauvenism
etc.,
> where, behind the scenes, the women have more control than they know what
> do with.  Men are pawns.  Men are kings.  Men are bishops.  But the
woman, the
> queen, is the most powerful piece on the board. (obvious allegory).  The
woman
> protects the man for the man is weak, and may only move one space at a
time.
> The knights, bishops, and pawns aren't there to protect the king, they
are
> there to make way for the queen.  Make way for the kill.  For ages, the
woman
> has been considered the manipulator, the protector, the power.  The man
is
> simply the figurehead.  IMHO, of course.

You bring up some good points.  The pendulum does tend to swing from one
direction to another, in an effort to achieve balance.

While there have been some women that have had a great deal of
power, I doubt that the majority of women in recent history have been in
the
drivers seat.  But there certainly is something to be said for what you
said about
the queen on the chess board.  When you described woman as the manipulator,
protector and seat of power, I thought of one word - mother!
Every man that comes into the world has to be under the watch of the
most powerful woman in his live, his own momma.

-Ann E. Bermingham