Re: Who's on top?

Dec 07, 1996 03:31 AM
by John Straughn

Ann E. Bermingham writes:
>Tom Robertson wrote:
>
>> It is natural for men to dominate women, since they are stronger, both
>> physically and volitional.  Most women want this, preferring men to be
>the
>> leaders.  "Exploitation" has negative connotations of injustice, which is
>> distinct from domination.
>
>This attitude seems to me to have more to do with a need to dominate, to
>take control of someone in your life because one is basically afraid of the
>othe person and the possibility that one may lose them.  My personal
>observation is that men are afraid of women because women have so much
>power over males.  They can arouse desire in males, causing the males to
>lose control as their hormones take over.  The other is a discovery of
>emotion within the male, as he begins to have overpowering feelings for a
>female.  To a group of males who have been taught to hold back emotion and
>be logically in control at all times, it has got to be difficult to be
>overtaken with emotion for a female and realize that person has the power
>to hurt you by rejection or in other ways.  So the feared object must be
>controlled.
>
>The best thing I ever read on this subject was from some Bailey material
>that I read on the public transit.  Logical males are striving to get more
>emotional.  Emotional women are striving to get more logical.  In the end,
>we are all striving for balance.
>
>-Ann E. Bermingham

In some cases, this (strive for balance) is true.  However, in most that I've
encountered, women have realized this control that they have over men, and
they use it to their full advantage.  Just IMO.  So, in actuality, society is
going from one extreme to the other.  Either that or it has always been this
way.  In fact, I often wonder if, for all these years, women have simply
allowed men to believe that they are superior, by protesting chauvenism etc.,
where, behind the scenes, the women have more control than they know what to
do with.  Men are pawns.  Men are kings.  Men are bishops.  But the woman, the
queen, is the most powerful piece on the board. (obvious allegory).  The woman
protects the man for the man is weak, and may only move one space at a time.
The knights, bishops, and pawns aren't there to protect the king, they are
there to make way for the queen.  Make way for the kill.  For ages, the woman
has been considered the manipulator, the protector, the power.  The man is
simply the figurehead.  IMHO, of course.

---
The Triaist