N Janikiram - Passing Away

Dec 03, 1996 06:48 PM
by M K Ramadoss

I just picked up the following from www.theosophical.org.
I had the pleasure of meeting him one time several years ago. One of the
lesser known fact about him is the fact that he comes from the
traditional "untouchable" castes and it may be recalled that H S Olcott
started the first school for "untouchable" children in I believe around
1890.

May his soul rest in peace.

=====================================

                                Passed to Peace

      We regret to announce the passing of Mr. N. Janikiram, Assistant
Secretary, on August 24, 1996. He was born in 1923 and was one of the
earliest students at the Besant Theosophical School. Later he worked in
the Secretariat of the Government of Tamil Nadu, retiring as Deputy
Secretary in 1977. During his long years of service to the Theosophical
Society at Adyar, he was at various times Assistant Treasurer, Manager
of the Vasanta Press, and Secretary of the Olcott Education Society. His
continual interest in the Lodges of the Madras Theosophical Federation
and the Tamil Districts Federation was a source of strength to the work
in these areas.