Re: Copyright 1900 letter...

Dec 02, 1996 10:26 AM
by JRC

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Patrick Alessandra Jr. wrote:

>      Also, the procedure followed is concordant with Section 107 (fair
> use) of U.S. Code Title 17 (copyright law).

No it is *not* ... it was not claimed that the *email post* was
copyrighted, but rather, clearly implied that copyright priviledges were
being claimed for the 1900 Letter. *Your own words* are all that you claim
the right to, *not* those of the 1900 Letter, and to even imply such is
not only against the spirit, but close to breaking the letter of the
copyright law.

Besides, this is a TS list, with a considerable number of published
authors in residence, and the continued insistance that no wrong was done
by a member that actually attempted to *give us permission* to use an
historical theosophical document so long as we used it according to
conditions *he* articulated - well, a student that attempted to do such a
thing at my university would at best be reprimanded by a faculty member,
and at worst recieve a probationary status. It may not have technically
against the law, but for any member to hold such a proprietary attitude
towards a document of that nature in a theosophical circle comes close to
being an insult.
								-JRC