Re: Hate speech

Nov 16, 1996 05:33 PM
by kymsmith

>> There is nothing more disgusting than a Theosophist trying to tell someone
>> off in a Theosophical way.
>>
>> There was also a picture of John Algeo.
>>
>> That cleared up a lot of things. . .

Max responded:

>If this is not hate speech, what it is?

Hate speech??  The man IS meaner than he looks!  I was told by two people
from the Northwest Lodge that John Algeo has one of the most trusting and
kind faces, one that makes you want to trust, and then spill your guts -
then regretting you ever did it. I didn't really understand what they meant
until I really looked at his picture for the first time.  I would trust the
man, too, he does have a kind face.  Actually I trusted him before I ever
saw him, I voted for him.

If you consider this hate speech because I am seemingly "backbiting" - you
can rest assured.  I've let Mr. Algeo know how I feel via mail, and I also
told him that I aired my complaints on theos-l.

The above criticism wasn't hate speech.  I don't hate John Algeo.  I hold
any president to much higher standards than the average individual.  I don't
feel he has lived up to them.  He doesn't have to be the "attack dog" for
the Theosophical Society.  Using his special power as president of the
Theosophical Society to discredit a writer is not right.  He should stay
above the fray.  Leave the "fraying" to the "underlings." It just plain
looks bad.  My personal opinion.

I'm sorry if you thought it was hate speech, it is apparent I was sorely
lacking in clarity and qualifiers, for I believe it is always the writer and
not the readers' fault, should misunderstandings occur.  I shall try to be
more diligent next time.

Kym