Re: A Serious Question & Etc.

Nov 05, 1996 01:24 PM
by Art House

Hi (this is not Mark),
After sticking my nose into the computer the last few days, I can't help
but get into the fray.  Excuse my newbiness and I hope I'm not breaking
any list rules, but everyone's entitled to chip in their 2 cents, so
here's some change.

> From: Michael <wichm@xs4all.nl>
> Dear Mark,
> My impression is that participants in this discussion-group have at
> least the common sense to admit that we are dealing with a
> Theosophical myth - that of the Masters.

>From: "Ann E. Bermingham"
>I almost fell off my chair when I read this.  Since when did "common
>sense" become a characteristic of this list?  We're WAY BEYOND common
>sense here.

Ann,
Who knows what common sense is?  Is there even such a thing?  Common
sense changes with time and situation.  Just because the world is the
way it is, doesn't mean that it wouldn't be common sense to have it
structured differently.  Suppose theosophy, reincarnation and
clairvoyance were unquestionably accepted by most of the world?  What if
Christianity were not as widespread?  How would the world be if it was
easier for artists, philosophers, and writers to make a steady buck
instead of business people?  Since I don't believe that common sense is
definite, I also don't believe that everything is necessarily as you see
it or that everything has to be the way it is.

Which brings me to the discussion about the baboon thing.  I do agree
with some opinions that we should all search within ourselves for the
truth.  If any teaching rings true within us, then it should be
inconsequential how the teaching came about.  I don't revere HPB, and I
don't know whether her teaching would be purer coming from some guru up
on the mountains of India, but some of them are valid to me.  On the
other hand, if theosophists are really interested in spreading theosophy
beyond the small group, they should answer any doubts with heart and
groundedness, instead of just giving the general party line.  Listen to
your questioners with heart and mind, and respond in like.  I find that
it is unnecessary to dismiss, to insult, or to belittle any questions or
opinions.

Dr. A.M.Bain writes:
>In message <199611040757.CAA24639@envirolink.org>, John Straughn
>JTarn@envirolink.org> writes
>What kind of position are you in that would prevent you from reading
>this book, Bain?  Go to the library.
>
>I read this post after your other one, Straughn.  You seem to me to be
>a rather unpleasant person.  Given your apparent attitude, I would have
>to wonder about your committment to "brotherhood."
>
>Bain

Straughn,
I think you are incorrect to dismiss Alan by telling him to find the
answers himself because you feel that a short summation would give
misleading answers.  How long does an answer have to be in order not to
be misleading?  A whole book long?  A decade long?  A whole book and a
decade can also be misleading.  Does that mean you should dismiss any
responsibility from yourself to give any answers at all?  Do you think
that Alan is relying only on the information you give him as the basis
for his life search?  A nugget of information can be the start of the
wrong path or the right path, but that is up to the person receiving the
information.  I feel that although we all do not have complete
knowledge, we should impart whatever summations we have to those who
ask.  I am thankful for all teachers who have taught me what they know
(however limited it may be), instead of telling me to find out for
myself.  Why do you think a person is asking?  So that s/he can combine
it with all other information to try to make sense of it all.

Alan and anybody else,
Please, please, stop all this generalizing about a person's character
based on a few written words on the net.

TTT the Leo-Dragon