Re: A Serious Question

Nov 05, 1996 06:19 AM
by John Straughn

Dr. A.M.Bain writes:
>In message <199611040757.CAA24639@envirolink.org>, John Straughn
><JTarn@envirolink.org> writes
>>What kind of position are you in that would prevent you from reading this
>>book, Bain?  Go to the library.
>
>I read this post after your other one, Straughn.  You seem to me to be a
>rather unpleasant person.  Given your apparent attitude, I would have to
>wonder about your committment to "brotherhood."
>
>Bain

My attitude?  Hmmm...this is my attitude.  I fear for humanity.  Every morning
afternoon and evening, I watch our brothers and sisters become more and more
materialistic and self-centered.  I watch them kill each other for highs.  For
gods.  For money.  For oil.  This is why.  It's because many of our brothers
and sisters feel that they alone are right, and everyone else is wrong.  They
don't learn from history.  They ignore it.  Or they shun it.  And because of
this, history keeps repeating itself over and over again.

There is a reason why people, in general, have this attitude.  It is because
their life is full of "short summaries".  Very few people know a lot about
anything in this day and age.  A little about a lot, but a lot about little.
And most of what they THINK they know is made up in their own minds.  Some of
it is correct, yes.  But most of it is misconception.  That is my attitude.
Why ask for a short summary full of holes when you can read the whole thing?
In fact, after hearing the summary, you may think to yourself, 'WEll, that's
just rediculous, there is so much unexplained' and never even pick the book up.

I'm sorry if you don't think I love my brothers and sisters enough to be
considered a "brother", but, then, I feel better knowing that most of your
accusations are assumptions and that you don't know the whole story.

The above statement was an honest question followed by a bit of advice.  Not a
statement given in offense.
---
The Triaist