Re: abortion debate

Nov 01, 1996 01:40 PM
by kymsmith

Bart wrote:

>	In the meantime, one also must realize that the mother's right to an
>abortion and the right of the fetus to live are two completely different
>rights which happen to be in opposition with each other. There are two
>limits, however: A woman's right to an abortion is NO GREATER than her
>right to any other operation, and the fetus' right to life is NO GREATER
>than the right of someone who has already been born to live. As a matter
>of fact, the condition of the fetus is very much like the condition of a
>person on a life support system, with the life support system in this
>case being a human being. Any case where one is justified in removing
>the life support system is certainly a case where abortion would be
>justified, as well.

I am very appreciative of the time and effort you put into answering my
inquiry.   However, beggin' pardons, the argument, though interesting, seems
fundamentally flawed.  The comparisons cited are the epitome of "comparing
apples and oranges."

Should you decide to respond, we may be better off doing it through private
post, since we could be accused, rightly or wrongly, of expanding an issue
outside the realm of Theosophy, or theosophy.

Thanks,
Kym