Gender language in manuals

Oct 15, 1996 07:26 AM
by Ann E. Bermingham

Hi folks

My husband just informed me that Mark Williams Co, a very progressive
computer company that puts out the Coherent OS and C-compiler, has changed
the language in their manuals.  In place of "he", they have put "she" and
in other parts they have replaced gender references with gender-neutral
terms, just to show that it can be done.  When I asked him why they did
this, he said that they tended to be on the cutting edge and were always
looking for ways to teach people new ways of doing things.

-Ann E. Bermingham