sexism

Oct 12, 1996 04:53 PM
by liesel f. deutsch

I just want to requote several sentences of Jim's quote from Alice Bailey,
because it exemplifies exactly what I was talking about yesterday. When we
want to express something in general terms, we use "him", and never "her".
Alice Bailey does it in this passage. Annie Besant did it numerous times,
and so have I done it numerous times. It's just the way we were brought up,
& you don't notice it, unless you very consciously look for it.

 >I ask you to drop
>your antagonisms and your antipathies, your hatreds and your racial
>differences, and attempt to think in terms of the one family,

<<the one life and the one humanity">>

and "The only solution to this problem is the basic recognition that

 <<all men are brothers;>>

that one blood pours through human veins; that we are all the

<<children of the one Father>>

and that our failure to recognize this fact is simply an indication of

<<man's stupidity.">>

See what I mean? Sisters and mothers are never mentioned. They're
understood, somewhat. When you think of being God's children, most of us
have grown up thinking of God as our Father in heaven. The Goddess, who
belongs at his side is just now reawakening.

Liesel