Re: Spiritual discrimination

Oct 12, 1996 12:14 PM
by Bee Brown

At 11:20 PM 11/10/96 -0400, you wrote:
>> I found the General Semantic Institute's
>> web page and I am also reading the book by the father to G-S Alfred
>> Korzybski, Science and Sanity, published in 1933. It is not too hard to read
>> and it sure does throw much light on the way we communicate.He was an
>> engineer and mathmatician who was concerned about the confused thinking this
>> world shows and some of his theories are very good. One of it's main themes
>> is non-identity and that the map is not the territory. I have also found
>> their g-s discussion list and I have learned a lot about the way I identify
>> with words and symbols that actually have no factual reality and get annoyed
>> with things people say mainly because I have chosen to identify certain
>> emotions with those words. Talking about spiritual things can get into
>> difficulty because we abstract from an esoteric fact and end up with our own
>> preferences attached to the symbol we have used to express our
>> interpretation of that fact. I have found g-s, so far, to hold many
>> similarities to Buddhist precepts e.g detachment, etc.
>
>Sounds very interesting.
>Could you please give a reference to the web page you've mentioned?
>
>Thanks,
>Max

Hi Max,
Here is the URL www.newciv.org/worldtrans/
Some of the bigshots on the g-s discussion list aren't keen on persons like
us on their list but fortunately the rest are fine. I lurk as I have been in
hot water by mentioning Vitvan whose writings got me interested in g-s.
Before that I didn't know g-s existed. They seem to think that persons into
philosophy, theology, theosophy & mataphysics are not scientific enough for
them.
I want to find out about g-s but I don't need to talk to the grumps.
Cheers
Bee Brown
Member Theosophy NZ, TI.

Success is getting what you want.