Re: "Christmas Humphries"

Oct 11, 1996 03:38 AM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

Michael wrote:
>I saw a  BBC-TV program some time ago on court cases in which
>the judge probably condemned a suspect erroneously to death.
>Among the judges who probably misjudged a suspect and sent him
>to the gallows was Christmas Humphries!

Not likely.  Christmas Humphreys was famous in England for his
stance against capital punishment.  The late Elsie Benjamine once
told me that as a Judge, Humphreys was of very high status--
something comparable to a supreme court justice here.

Jerry

   |Jerry Hejka-Ekins,                      |
      |Member TI, TSA, TSP, ULT                |
         |Please reply to: jhe@toto.csustan.edu   |
            |and CC to jhejkaekins@igc.apc.org       |