Re: Spiritual discrimination

Oct 07, 1996 03:38 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <Pine.OSF.3.90.961007081221.27573B-
100000@library.berkeley.edu>, Maxim Osinovsky <mosinovs@library.berkeley
.edu> writes
>"...The spoken word has a potency... Because sound and  rhythm are
>closely related to the four Elements of the Ancients; and because such or
>another vibration in the air is sure to awaken corresponding powers,
>union with which produces good or bad results, as the case may be. No
>student was ever allowed to recite historical, religious, or any real
>events in so many unmistakable words, lest the powers connected with the
>event should be once more attracted."
>
>"The Secret Doctrine" I 307

Repeat: what is the "literal meaning" of the word "joke."  The above
bears no relevant connection to my question below.  I regret to say that
in quoting from a book held by many, it would seem, as equivalent to
"holy writ" you are coming over even more like a fundamentalist
evangelist.

Please do not quote from the SD.  I would like to get *your* viewpoint.
I have my own copy of the SD which I can refer to at any time on any
subject brought up on the list.

Alan

---------