suffering

Sep 02, 1996 07:40 AM
by liesel f. deutsch

>Someone said the job of a spiritual devotee like a minister or even a
counsellor
>is to kill oneself very slowly and very intelligently for his fellow man.  The
>crucifiction of the spirit on the cross of matter will take place slowly over
>many lifetimes

Serving as a minister or a counselor is envigorating, in the sense that a
person in the helping professions feels useful and learns a lot while
(s)he's working. It can be tiring to work with someone who's very upset,
it's also tiring to work around sick old people all the time. In that case,
you need to replenish yourself after each exposure. (in order to avoid burn
out). But on the whole, if you're helping, I find, it makes you feel good
that you are able to do it.

Liesel