Cayce & Psychism

Aug 30, 1996 02:45 PM
by Martin_Euser

Paul wrote:

Cayce's approach to psychic powers etc.:  I sense a much more
positive attitude generally in A.R.E. circles towards
clairvoyance, telepathy, astrology, auras, kundalini, etc. than in
Theosophical circles.  There are frequent workshops and
conferences at the headquarters on such things-- an upcoming one on regression,
for example-- and the whole point of the study group program is
a practical, daily approach to the spiritual life.  Although
Cayce is just as insistent as HPB that the psychic cart not be
put before the spiritual/intellectual horse, he still sees
psychism as an integral and valued part of life rather than
simply a pitfall.

        This is more in touch with modern times, I guess.

Paul>My sense of the cause for this difference involves the
Masters.  Theosophy preaches that they (They?) are far above us in
evolution, paragons of virtue and knowledge, and that only such
beings are qualified to explore the paranormal in practical
ways.

        If I remember correctly, the Masters never implied the above.
It is true that investigation of the psychic realm has been
discouraged, maybe too much so. There has always existed a fear in the TSs
that explorers would be drawn into the pit. Maybe it's time to reevaluate
this position. In any case, if we are to know ourselves, then the psychic
realm must be included, especially in our current era of OBE's and NDE's
and budding psychic clairvoyance, etc. That is, TSs cannot close their eyes
for what's happening in the world. Many people are interested in spirituality
in a general sense and also in a more specific sense as relating to so-called
ESP.

Paul>  The rest of us should devote ourselves to study and
service, and some lifetime or other we might attract the
attention of a Master-- and that will signify that we are ready
to learn something practical.

        Hm. Is that the official position of the TSs? I think that we are
all ready to learn something practical *now*, not in some distant future!
That's a real big mistake IMO. Otherwise Theosophy would equate with
impractical dreaming.

Paul> The Cayce approach minimizes the
importance of Masters, emphasizes the Christ Consciousness as
an ever-present guide, and encourages people to balance
physical, mental and spiritual aspects of the path.  It regards
psychic faculties as ordinary and unremarkable, to be used with
caution but without exaggerated anxiety.

        Sounds ok to me.

P>Hope this is responsive, Martin.

        It sure is, Paul.

Cheers