genetics

Aug 20, 1996 10:05 AM
by Uri Macnev

Hello!

=========================
* Forwarded by Uri Macnev
* From : Kay Ziatz
=========================
for: Liesel f. deutsch
Subject: genetics

     Hello.

> for how many generations Lysenko conducted the experiments of getting
> mutations because of a change in the environment. I think that if you put a
As I've understood, one generation sometimes is enough. Also, a few
generations are enough to return to original type. But  Lysenko
thought that a several generations are required to guide through
the gradual changing and "fixing".  He gave the following sta-
tistics: from 4000 grains survived only 84 plants.
 Date of sowing      survived
 27/VIII - IX           0
 30/IX               7 of 102
  5/X                22 of 95
 after 10/X             0
Temperature at winter was -32 C

Other data: (Total result)   total/survived    ratio
 First generarion              690/77          0.11
 Second                        685/308         0.45
 Third                         1376/784        0.57

The main change of genotype (28 to 42 chromosomes) resulted after a
third generation. Most of experinents were lead in 1943-49.
Lysenko's assistent, V. Karapetian reported that even in one
"bush" there were different ears and sometimes in one ear -
the different grains.
 L: You've converted one species to another...
 K: But no one will believe me because i haven't intermediate forms.
 L: And who said to you that they should be?
 K: Darwin...
More, wheat from one party has migrated to _different_ existing
sorts: eritrosperum, ferugineum, cesium, milturum.
Paleontologists tryed but haven't find the intermediate forms and
they will never find them, he said.
   As is well known a special weeds accompany the wheat, oats, flax.
These weeds are never found outside the fields. Caucasian peasants
who haven't heard about genetics always thought that there's a
transmutation.

W/best wishes, Konstantin Zaitzev  2:5020/360.4 Fidonet

Address for personal replies:
Kay_Ziatz%p4.f360.n5020.z2.fidonet.org@gate.phantom.ru