Re: Unveiled Isis (gnosis)

Aug 16, 1996 05:01 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <18C00F4404@serv.peb.ufrj.br>, ABRANTES@serv.peb.ufrj.br
writes
>Unveiled Isis (gnosis)
>
>BOOK III, chapter V (191,217) page 210 HPB states that Paul was the only apostle
>receive gnosis from Jesus. But at chapter III (116,145) page 134 she says that
>Jesus
>taught magi to John, and at chapter IV (153,185) page 167 she says that Jesus
>teach his gnosis
>to SOME disciples (more than one disciple).
>
>So, what did HPB want to say? How many disciples receive Jesus gnosis from Jesus
>himself?
>
>Abrantes

There is a distinction, which HPB may have known, between "disciples"
and "apostles."  Disciples are those who follow the teacher.  Apostles
are those who represent the teacher to others ("Shaliach" in Hebrew, or
plenipotentiary in English).

In any event, if we are to take Paul's account, he got his gnosis from
Gamaliel ...

Alan
---------
Homepage: http://www.nellie2.demon.co.uk/
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: Ancient Wisdom for a New Age
TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk
http://WWW1.Minn.Net/~vlg/TI.html (Figure "one" after WWW)