Re: VOS AND DE ZIRKOFF

Aug 07, 1996 10:27 PM
by m.k. ramadoss

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Keith Price wrote:

> Ramdoss writes:
> There is a very interesting article on "How The Voice of Silence Was
> Written" by Boris de Zirkoff. Boris was HPB"s grand nephew and was the
> editor of the collected works. The article appeared in AT Nov/Dec 1988.ove was
> published in The Path, New York, Vol X, December 1895, pp. 268.
> (SNIP)
>
> Blavatsky:
>         "They are grand aphorisms, indeed, I may say so, because you know I
> did not invent them! I only translated them from Telugu, the oldest South
> Indian dialect. There are three treatises, about morals, and the moral
> principles of the Mongolian and Dravidian mystics. Some of the aphorisms are
> wonderfully deep and beautiful. Here they have created a perfect *furor*,
> and I think  they would attract attention in Russia, too. Won't you
> translate them? It will be a fine thing to do."
> Ramdoss:
> It is very interesting to note that HPB did not know Telugu. Then how did
> she translate? What occult/psychic method was used? These are very
> interesting questions. I do not know if any one will ever know.
>

> Keith
>
> In the QUEST edition of VOS there is an introduction by Boris De Zirkoff. In it
> he relates some of the history surrounding its production including:
>
> "help{ing] students to  transform their thought into action, their aspirtations
> into compassionate deeds".
>

> It was written on a vacation to Fountainbleau,  France in 1891.  Blavatsky
> reports "stange astral sights in these glades and valleys and dark pine woods."
> Annie Besant and A.P. Sinnet were said to be much impressed.
> She is reported as wiritng without notes or references as if from memory.  Thus
> the tablets of Kiu-Ti did not seem to be physically before her, but in her
> "mind's eye" perhaps.  It was the last work she saw to press herself.
> Namaste
> Keith Price

The very interesting point that I noticed is that this is the only time
that any reference was made in any literature about any material being
translated from a dravidian language. Also I see the HPB's emphasis on
treatises on morals, and moral principles of the dravidian and mongolian
mystics. The implication as I see it, is perhaps the morals and moral
principles when applied by an individual in his/her day to day living, there
is a transformation in  his/her attitudes and approaches to life and
his/her relationships to  other human beings. A further extrapolation may
lead us to the First  Object - practical Universal Brotherhood in action.

Just a thought.

    Peace to all living beings.

    M K Ramadoss