Re: The Uncola

Jul 30, 1996 11:17 AM
by Jerry Schueler

>I think that one can access the profundity of Theosophical teachings in a
>meaningful, personal, noetic way without the use of rituals or crystals.
	This entirely depends upon what your goal or objective is.

>In fact, HPB was decidedly against the use of magickal ritual, stating that it
was
>dangerous.
	So is crossing the street, but we do it to get to the other side.  Why
is "ritual" dangerous?  Do you know a single person who does not do some kind
of ritual (by any name, a ritual is a ritual is a ritual)?  In the sense
intended
here, ritual simply implies adding movement and words to yogic meditation.
Hardly a dangerous addition.

>I would hardly characterize the TS teachings as "mental gymnastics",
>although it is entirely possible to pervert them in this manner by arguing over
>nuances as though they were dogma of some kind demanding  an orthodox
>recitation.
	The teachings are not, no.  But the manner in which those
teachings are generally studied is exactly mental gymnastics.  Good
for the human intellect and mind, but often inflating the ego in the process.

>Sometimes I wonder
>whether we, collectively, realize just what it is that has been entrusted to us
>and what use we are to make of it.
	My point exactly.

> my point is that there are many individuals out there who do not know
>that there is any soup to be had and are merely chewing on the spoon.
	These are possibly the "Joe Sixpacks' that have been
discussed on theos-l.  There are two schools of thought here.  (1) We
should try to appeal to them, and (2) We should wait for them to be
ready, and then they will come to us automatically.  I assume that
you are of the first school.  Good luck.

>But they would be much more nourished
>if some Theosophist were to inform them that the spoon can be used
>for something palatable.
	As long as it doesn't give them a belly ache.

>Maybe they would even acquire a taste for soup.
	When the taste is acquired, the soup will be ready.

>But there will always
>(in this manvantara at least) be some who will prefer to scarf down
>those greasy Mc D's and french fries or just chew the spoon.
	Again, this goes back to motive.  If the motive is just
to fill the stomach, then Mc D's is as good as any.

	Jerry S.
	Member, Ti