Re: A House of Cards? (Reply to Paul K.)

Jul 29, 1996 02:54 PM
by Bee Brown

K. Paul Johnson wrote:

> According to uscap9m9@ibmmail.com:
> >
> > How does one tell if there's something to be found in the
> > theosophical literature, in the various metaphysical doctrines
> > that are expounded? One way is an innate deja vu, a recognition
> > and inner accord with what is taught. There's a sense that one
> > has known these things before, and that they have the ring of
> > truth to them.
> >
> So far, so good.  I know precisely what you mean, experienced
> it intensely, dreamed about the SD while reading it for the
> first time, and so on.  We're talking intuitive recognition
> here.  But what if things have the "ring of truth" not because
> they are true but because they are familiar falsehoods?  If I
> was a Mormon in my last life, perhaps golden plates and Moroni
> will set off my "deja vu" "ring of truth" in this one.  Doesn't
> make it a bit more true.

If you had been a Mormon then your "deja vu" would not include Theosophy and
you might be quite unaware ot it's existence. I only found it about 6 years
ago but the "deja vu" was strong and instant at the time but we are here to
evolve so now I have developed a "deja vu" for another teaching that is not
known in Theosophy but I feel strongly about it so I will study it regardless
of what Theosophy thinks about that. Don't forget I am president of a small
Lodge and front up to the National Exec every 3 months at the meetings so if
they get uncomfortable with it, if and when they find out what I am studying,
then as far as I am concerned, they will have to live with it.

big snip.....

> But you are not entitled to tell people who don't share it that
> they don't belong in the movement.
> >
> > Theosophy won't collapse like a house of cards, as someone finds
> > a few references to science to discredit. It may sway the
> > interest of a few borderline seekers, people without a strong
> > draw to the philosophy, but apart from that, I see little
> > happening.
>
> Agreed.  But it's not a few references, but many, that are
> problematic.  And you keep describing people as "borderline" as
> if you are confident that you are making an *objective
> assessment*.  Au contraire, when you and others of like mind
> dismiss some Theosophists as "borderline" you are making a
> *subjective assessment* based on *borders of your own
> definition* that unfortunately becomes *self-fulfilling
> prophecy.*

My concern for the lack of interest in theosophy has indicated that there are
'borderline' people who are unwilling to make a commitment to any line of
spiritual knowledge. They come to lectures and get very enthusiastic but only
hover around the edge of our activities and then disappear for a while and
then come to a lecture and so on. That is fine by us as they have not decided
how and where they should begin. They may find their 'deja vu" somewhere else
but at the moment they could be called 'borderline' and I care that they at
least get exposed to theosophy in such a way that they can at least make an
informed decision when the time come to do so. I have learned not to react
emotionally to what others say and so I have control over what I do and just
do it if it is right at my present level of thinking. Occasionally I lose it
but I ain't got to the top of the class :-)

> And if you have a strong intuitive sense that Theosophy is an
> open doorway to a new realm of experience AND that much of it
> is nonsensical and confusing, then what?  Jump in and have
> Theosophists attack you for lack of firmness in your faith?
> Stay away and lose the opportunity to learn and share with
> others of like interests?  Not much of a choice.

So what if Theosophists want to show their lack of Brotherhood. I personally
just carry on regardless and ignore them and either they calm down and
pretend they don't see or they get right off their trolley and I just stand
there and smile and then they just peeter out. It is my choice if I want to
be a Theosophist within a Lodge and study something considered outside
Theosophical interests. It is also a fact of life that if I flaunt what I am
doing in their faces then I give them no choice, because of their lack of
Brotherhood, but to get off their trolley and feel they have to 'do'
something. I ran a chanelling group for over 2 years as a private thing and I
didn't tell the Lodge anything about it. One or two heard about it but
because I said nothing, they also said nothing. For some who write public
books and other more obvious pursuits, that cannot be ignored by the
narrow-minded but again if one refuses to accept their definition of one's
pursuits and quietly carries on regardless, the chances of things calming
down surely would improve? There must be Theosophists who live by the
Brotherhood concepts but often they are quietly going about their lives not
making a big deal about anything much. It is the noisy one who seem to have
problems, IMO. Wear earplugs.:-)
Bee