Re: Purity and theosophy

Jul 21, 1996 04:21 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <960721214617_76400.1474_HHL69-5@CompuServe.COM>, Jerry
Schueler <76400.1474@compuserve.com> writes
>>>Theosophists are as prudish (and wrong) today
>>>as they were last century.
>>
>>*Some* theosophists, I hope you mean!
>>

>Alan, how about "Most theosophists?"  The vast majority
>believe in sex for procreation only, just like the Catholics.
>This goes back to HPB's extolling of celibacy.  I am not sure
>that they understood the psychological need for physical
>and emotional intimacy in those days.  Intimacy with
>a Significant Other is healthy, while sexual repression leads
>to pathology.

I can't honestly say I have noticed this tendency in England.  Certainly
some of the *very* ancient TS members seem to take this view, but in
general those I have met, even those I do not care for much as people,
seem to be as much sexual beings as anyone else.  There is a fair amount
of hidden homophobia about in some quarters, especially, it appears, in
the E.S. - which is comical considering the CWL business.

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: Ancient Wisdom for a New Age
TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk
http://WWW1.Minn.Net/~vlg/TI.html
(Note figure "one" after WWW)