Human evolution timetable

Jul 19, 1996 12:48 PM
by K. Paul Johnson

evolution in Richard Leakey's Origins Reconsidered.  Of course
there will continue to be controversies and readjustments, but
still the physical evidence refutes HPB's assertions about the
history of our species.  Here are some highlights of Leakey's
chart:

                      Stage of development
Years ago
5-10 million  Emergence of hominids, distinguished by bipedalism
2-3 million First stone tools, brain expansion and origin of
            Homo
1 million   Homo erectus leaves Africa and enters Eurasia
700,000     Use of fire
200,000     Toolmaking advances with large cutting tools like axes
150,000     Modern humans originate in Africa
30,000      Representational and abstract images