Re: maditation

Jul 06, 1996 10:57 PM
by Maxim Osinovsky

On Sun, 7 Jul 1996, Ozren Skondric wrote:

> are there any specific
> books you would recommend, any specific material on the NET, is there
> any specific meditation technique recommended for students of theosophy?

Hello Ozren, welcome to the Theos-L.

I do not know anything about any related material on the Web.

As a member of the Theosophical Society in America (Adyar), I believe
there are no specifically theosophical meditation techniques.

Arcane School founded by Alice Bailey offers well structured
and rigorous correspondence
courses in meditation and other aspects of the Ageless Wisdom.

Raja Yoga is a well known, reliable, and respected Eastern system of
meditation. My favorite books on Raja Yoga include:

1. Rammurti S. Mishra's "The Fundamentals of Yoga"--a very accessible and
sensible handbook by an accomplished master of raja yoga; to be studied
in conjunction with his "The Textbook of Yoga Psychology"--a good
translation of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras including also a readable
introduction into the philosophy of Samkhya and Raja Yoga.

Another accessible and very well written manual of meditation is:

2. Christmas Humphreys' "Concentration and Meditation"--the author tries
to integrate Eastern (Hindu and Buddhist) and Western techniques into a
kind of a universal synthesis.

Max