Alexis D.'s comments on the List of Suggested Reading on HPB and Theosophy

Jul 04, 1996 02:23 PM
by Blavatsky Foundation

Alexis Dolgorukii wrote (on alt.theosophy):

Subject: TO ALL-RE: "SUGGESTED READING"
> Date: Thu, 04 Jul 1996 00:14:31 -0700

> The reading list suggested by "The Blavatsky Foundation", is strictly "party
> line". It's all right as far as it goes, but it doesn't go very far. It's an
> entirely propagandistic list, and worse still it is entirely hagiographic
> and pushes theosophy as "Theosophical Core Doctrines" or  "received truth"
> (I.e. "revelation"). Many of the books are valuable, and some of them
> aren't. but the best way to find out is read them and make up your own minds.

Daniel Caldwell replies:

We have tried to give in the List of Suggested Reading titles that would help
interested inquirers and seekers discover more about what Madame Blavatsky
wrote and taught. We are glad that Mr. Dolgorukii has written:  "Many of the
books are valuable, and some of them aren't but the best way to find out is
read them and make up your own minds...."  Yes we totally agree at least with
the latter part of Mr. Dolgorukii's statement and urge interested individuals
to "READ THEM AND MAKE UP YOUR OWN MINDS."

Mr. D. writes:

> BUT, it's very important that one take an "antidote" to all this propaganda,
> and besides books that are "official", one should read books that were and
> are written outside of the parameters of the society. And in Histories of
> the society  not written as the Society's behest.
> There's a book out today called "Madame Blavatsky's Baboon" which is not
> hagiography, in fact it's the reverse. There's a book called "Theosophy, the
> history of a pseudo-religion" by Rene Geuenon, there's a book called "madame
> Blavatsky High Priestess of The Occult", there's a really good, but
> disturbing book called "Elder Brother" by Gregory Tillett. I know where to
> get this one, if any one wants it because it's out of print, but there's a
> book seller in California that has a box of them. I bought one from him.
> I hope you all see what I mean, you can't really learn anything about the
> theosophical movement unless you get opinions from all sides. I am a
> "process theosophist" and we think that the theosophical movement gives one
> a way to learn and grow. The "other guys" are the "Core Doctrine
> Theosophists" they all are absolutely sure they already know everything!

Daniel replies:

Mr. D does list a number of good works on Theosophical history but
unfortunately many of these are out of print.  The Tillett book is still
available from a Theosophical publisher.  Mr. D speaks of "propaganda" but
almost 30 of the titles listed out of 70 titles are written by H.P. Blavatsky
herself!  Mr. D. also writes:  " The 'other guys' are the 'Core Doctrine
Theosophists' they all are absolutely sure they already know everything!"
Is this overexageration or what by Mr. D?  Who are "the other guys"?  I wish
I knew everything!!  Unfortunately, I do not.  The Blavatsky Foundation is
only concerned with letting interested individuals know about the writings of
H.P. Blavatsky and her Adept-Teachers.  We certainly would encourage such
interested people to read  HPB's writings.  But each person will have to
do their own thinking and decide what to believe or what not to believe.

Mr. D. also writes:

The best of the Theosophical Books, in my opinion, is "Isis Unveiled", it's>
the only book that one can buy (in facsimile of the first edition ONLY) and>
be certain that it's the way Blavatsky wrote it. All else is more than just>
suspect of revisionism, and the things without her name on it are for the>
most part, or at least as I view them, nonsense. There's a lot of good in>
theosophy, but the Theosophical society is just another religion, and>
therefore a source of all the problems that come out of religion.>
> alexis dolgorukii

Daniel replies:

Mr. D. writes that Isis in facsimile of the first edition is the ONLY book
one can buy and "BE CERTAIN THAT IT'S THE WAY BLAVATSKY WROTE IT."
Is this statement by Mr. D. a factual and truthful statement?  In our
bibliography we list "The Secret Doctrine" (1888), "The Key to Theosophy"
(1889) and "The Voice of the Silence" (1889) in either "facsimile" or in a
"verbatim reproduction" of the original editions published DURING HPB's
lifetime.  Mr. D. says "all else is more than just suspect of revisionism."
Should we suspect these facsimiles and verbatim reproductions of what was
published during HPB's lifetime?  Or should we suspect the factuality of Mr.
D.'s statements?  Mr. D goes on to say...." and the things without her name on
it are for the most part, or at least as I view them, nonsense..."  Well, this
is certainly Mr. D.'s  own opinion or view, isn't it?  All we suggest to an
interested inquirer and student is to read the books and decide for yourself
whether these books are nonsense or not.  Mr. D. is entitled to his opinion,
but without knowing more of the details behind his supposed "allegations" one
is left in the dark as to his evidence and reasoning on these matters.

All the writings offered in our list of suggested reading is offered as food
for thought.  Each student must decide what is what.

We close with the following quote from Koot Hoomi, one of HPB's
Mahatmic co-workers:  "Everyone is master of his own wisdom---says a Tibetan
proverb and he is at liberty either to honour or degrade his slave...."

I also append BELOW the list of suggested reading to which Mr. D. made his
comments.

Daniel Caldwell

The Blavatsky Foundation
P.O. Box 1844