Re: To Alan and Jacques

Jul 01, 1996 12:24 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 01:21 PM 7/1/96 -0400, you wrote:

To Paul, Ramadoss et al: You know chuck must be getting very annoyed at me
getting credited with his observations. Alan asked in his posting not if
people agreed with me, but if they agreed with Chuck (he went on to say it
was a given that I did). Now chuck and I essentially agree on our picture of
American history and the American National Character, our views only differ
in emphasis.

Anyone who is not a poseur, (any american that is) knows that over the
entire scope of American History the political dialog has been what can only
be described as "down and dirty", now Alan can hardly be expected to know
that, nor really can doss, but all one has to do is read some of the charges
leveled at Tom Jefferson by John Adams and visa versa, to see how really
ugly american political diatribes can get, this is even more true in the
election that sent Andrew Jackson to the White House. One needn't go back to
former times, one need only pay attention to the rhetoric in our current
election campaign to see just how "down and dirty" american dialectic can be.

Paul's discussion of "Virginian Courtliness" is pure myth. The Virginia
countryside is chock a block with Red Necks, and crosses get burned in
Virginia quite as frequently as they do in North Carolina. I was born in the
South and "gentility, civility, and politesse" is simply a cover-up for
hypocrisy. Luckily he lost, but the immense amount of support Oliver North
received says more about the folks in Virginia than most anything I can
think of. As a matter of fact the political successes of people like Pat
Buchanan and Oliver North and Ross Peyote go further towards proving chuck's
point than anything I can think of.

alexis