Re: Jivamukti

Jun 27, 1996 06:05 PM
by Jerry Schueler

>Can somebody explain the concept of jivamukti.
> Thank you.
>            Ozren

	The word is Hindu and basically means one who is
karmaless.  The jivamukti (literally "a released jiva") reaches a
state or condition of jivamukta -- karma-less-ness.  It means that
one can eliminate one's personal karma while living--this being
the last incarnation.  The concept can also be found in Mahayana
Buddhism where such a one enters nirvana after death.
	Perhaps the single-most bothersome thing that I
have found with TS literature is its refusal to discuss the
possibility of eliminating one's karma.  Most TS literature
says that after we become chelas we still need 7 more incarnations,
which is a silly and pernicious (because self-defeating) idea.
The literature is all geared to making our karma "better" by
doing good deeds.  But even HPB acknowledges that golden
chains are just as binding as iron, and she clearly says that
even good karma must be eliminated.  she taught:
"We should bear in mind that, in becoming Karmaless,
both good as well as bad karma have to be got rid of, and that
Nidanas started the acquisition of good karma, are as binding
as those induced in the other direction.  For both are karma."
INNER GROUP TEACHINGS  2nd Ed. p. 10.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI