Re: Tourist or Pilgrim

Jun 24, 1996 06:44 PM
by Bee Brown

liesel f. deutsch wrote:

> Bee,
>
> If you'd like an opinion, if you have enough people willing to facilitate or
> what have you, I'd have some of both. That was the original idea anyway, to
> have some public meetings & some just for the serious members. How many of
> each during a month can be decided on by the group.
>
> I had all tourists in my study center in Syracuse. Everything went fine as
> long as I did it, and they could just come & take in whatever I had to
> offer. That was ok to get started, but then I had a tresurer who didn't
> collect donations, & a book agent who didn't want to order books, & when 1
> of them agreed to conduct a program, he didn't prepare anything. So I just
> stopped the whole thing. It's ok to give a side show to attract people I
> think, but then a study center is supposed to promote serious study as well.
>
> Liesel

Seeing them as tourists sort of gets a handle on the situation and that it's
ok if they come sightseeing but I used to get so disappointed when these keen
tourists didn't come back. I used to wonder what we weren't doing right but I
see now that there isn't a lot to be done until they stop being such
dedicated tourists. We have a lively study group of 6 going strong so that is
not bad in such a small Lodge.
Keep well
Bee