Re: Is Theosophy becoming a Religion? (Part II)

Jun 24, 1996 02:23 PM
by Bee Brown

Michael W. Grenier wrote:

> senzar@stic.net wrote:
> >                   "... A Church On My Grave."
> >                            PART TWO
> >                          By S. Treloar
> >         (Copyright February 1996 by Stanford L Treloar)...
> >         My contention is that Mme Blavatsky was quite broad
> >  minded and would never condone the narrow minded line that
> >  her TS has become.
>
> Has anyone here studied some of the early newsletters
> and other publications that were put out by the Theosophical
> Society during her lifetime? I'm thinking of Lucifer and other stuff.
>
> I curious in the amount of material presented that does not
> fit what we consider to be Theosophy. Did many other authors present
> things that we might consider today to be completely out of line?
> It would be interesting to see what information came out of the
> group which did not come directly from the Theosphical Society
> leadership and which might not have followed the party line. That
> would be an indication on how broad the Society was back then.
>
>    -Mike Grenier
>     mike@planet8.eag.unisysgsg.com

I have lately been reading the early copies of the Theosophical
Path-1911/1926 and Henry Edge features in them all but so do quite a lot of
travelogues. There are articles and photos of many places in the world
unconnected with Theosophy and some articles on the philosophers and
gardening with the devas.
The old Lucifers are very broad in their essays. There are letters quite
critical of the Editor (HPB) and she responds sometimes nicely and sometimes
tells them a thing or two.
I don't think a partyline had started at that time but that seems to be the
way of most things.
Bee Brown