Re: Core Teachings (to Dan)

Jun 18, 1996 11:13 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 02:18 AM 6/18/96 -0400, you wrote:

>"WHERE'S THE BEEF?  SO FAR I'VE ONLY SEEN THE BUNS AND A LITTLE LETTUCE...."
>

>The trouble is "how can you have beef with a bunch of vegetarians? <LARGE GRIN>

But seriously, I think Daniel has really gone off base here. I've read JRC's
many articles on the subject and they are terribly complete with supporting
arguments, though they are usually HIS OWN ARGUMENTS! I think the basic
problem that those of us who see theosophy as a process rather than as a
Religion, have is that as we don't accept the presence of valid "core
teachings" we don't feel either a need or a reason to refer to them and
instead refer to what we believe to be more important.

When I say "I don't believe in Reincarnation as Theosophy teaches it", I
really do believe that the people on this list are sufficiently well
informed on the subject so that I do not have to "retell twice-told tales".
Why bore people who will only remark "O.K. I already know that."? I try, and
regularly have, in discussions with Dr. Bain, explained where my ideas
differ from orthodox theosophical reincarnation. I really doubt if there's
anyone on this list who is not already familiar with the orthodox version.
Equally when I, or JRC, or Jerry S., or Alan Bain, or Chuck Cosimano say "I
don't believe in Karma as Theosophy defines it", I really believe it is
reasonable and proper, in the context that is this list, to make the
assumption that everyone who might read our words knows what that definition
is. This is not a forum for new comers to theosophy.

As I have said before and will doubtless be forced to say many times more:
Daniel is far too rigidly academic-scholastic in his approach to life. This
is a "spare time discussion group" we are not candidates for Doctorates
facing some Doctoral Committee and there's really no need for us to prepare
our messages as if we were.

alexis dolgorukii