Re: Ruminations

Jun 17, 1996 11:45 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 12:03 PM 6/17/96 -0400, you wrote:

>	Personally, I don't believe in "universal justice" either.  Justice
>is a feeling that we human beings have, a sense of fairness.  Animals
>do not have this feeling at all.  Nor does anything except human beings.
>Our sense of fairness, and our desire for justice, will cause us to create
>a God, if one doesn't exist.  Because there is obviously no justice in this
>world, we create two new worlds, call them Heaven and Hell, and hope
>that everyone will have justice there, after death here.  Or, we create the
>notion of karma, and believe that we are all punished or rewarded for
>actions in our past lives.  Now I can see no difference at all between
>these two.  They serve as excuses for the fact that there is no justice
>in the world, and we would all like to think that justice exists somewhere.
>Well, it does.  Its right here in our own minds, and no where else.
>Karma is causality, the law of cause and effect, and nothing more.
>Karma, like Mother Nature, could care less about  justice.
>
>	Jerry S.
>	Member, TI
>

>Jerry: The problem is, as usual, the taking of abstractions and turning
them into Suday School Homilies. Causality is ne thing, but it is so very
easily translated into totally fallacious personal terms. I think most of
the problem here lies in an utterly silly human propensity to think an
abstract universe should be "fair". The fly in  that ointment however, is
that I cannot for the life of me see what is "fair" about our vindictive,
retributive, "Theosophical Core Doctrine" of Karma. A child is born blind
becuase its Mother had syphillis, sure its not "fair" but that's how life
is...unfair. Now for the life of me, I don't see what is "more fair" about
the illusion that the child was born blind becuase of some past action of
some individual on that child's line of spiritual descent with whom that
child has absolutely no connection.Punishing the new born for someone elses
fault is the hight of unfairness. By that criteria then, one could easily
say that for each pregnancy terminated by medical intervention, the fetus
was a murderer being puniched for its "crimes". (I hasten to add that I
fully support freedom of choice, but wish people, when it is appropriate,
would resort to adoption more frequently)

I think my major point is that "Justice" is an entirely human conception, to
foist entirely human conceptions on an entirely un human abstract cosmos, is
both silly, and a waste of time. The goal of evolution is to create an
encompassing realization of the Cosmos, it is not for humans to mold the Cosmos.

alexis dolgorukii, member TI, FTSA