Re: Ruminations: Martin Euser

Jun 15, 1996 01:09 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <2.2.32.19960615173827.006b8458@pop.slip.net>, alexis
dolgorukii <alexei@slip.net> writes
>If you actually understand my attitude towards "Core Theosophy" you will see
>that I don't criticize it, I simply find it irrelevant and unfounded in
>reality. Now for that, a reasonable person can disagree with me but not
>criticize me. Perhaps we have a linguistic misunderstanding here.

Indeed I think you have, old pal!  "Criticism" can mean (and in older
English always did) nothing more than an attempt to penetrate the mind
of the other person and thus to better understand their ideas.  Thus: to
criticise your views on "core theosophy" (with or without caps!) would
be to question your basic "givens" in the matter.  To put it another
way, such a form of literary or philosophical criticism might question
the accuracy of your findings, but not the sincerity of your quest in
finding them. Whew!  Martin may well be attempting to use the word in
this sense, and not the usual "popular" negative personal one where
criticism is simply a posh word for "put-down."

The (English) English language owes much to the Dutch language, so that
Martin's use of the word may be a little archaic to modern readers - I
could be wrong, but I am *sure* he intends you no personal insult.

In friendship and all that,

Alan :-)
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: