Re: Krishnaji

Jun 04, 1996 07:55 PM
by Bjorn Roxendal

At 09:12 PM 6/4/96 -0400, you wrote:

>        As far as I have read, I do not think he ever went any of the *best*
>schools. Have you found any specific details of the schools he attended?

You can read about his education and just about everything else concerning
his upbringing and early experiences, through 1934, in the book
"Krishnamurti, The Years of Awakening", by Mary Lutyens. (Perhaps all of you
already read this book?) It is an intimate account, not only of K, but of
AB, CWL and the evolution, including scandals, that the theosophical
movement went through during the years 1904 - 1934. And at the same time it
is, IMO, remarkably "objective".  There is no such thing as historical
objectivity, of course, but ML has made a very good job. She is
nonjudgmental, she lets the main characters speak for themselves, as well as
relating correspondence and perspectives from various other sources. Many
original letters are printed, word by word, and the reader get the
impression of "being there". ML was close, not only to K, but also to CWL.
She has no ax to grind and is "fair" to the theosophical leaders, although
she obviously is most devoted to K himself. The shortcomings, both of AB and
CWL, become apparant, without any tone of condemnation or criticism added
thereto. Credit is also given and there is an aura of understanding and
appreciation in her work. I would say that both the good and the bad is
presented without being blown out of proportion. Since the book is written
by an insider who had access to a wealth of source material it tasts
"genuine". I heartily recommend it to anyone seeking a "historical"
understanding of theosophy, including the formative years and experiences of K.

Bjorn

roxendal@alpinet.net