Re: Ruminations

May 30, 1996 11:27 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 09:20 AM 5/30/96 -0400, you wrote:

>There is a lot to be discovered in Christianity, that I know from having
>discovered some!  HPB made some useful pointers to such early writers as
>Clement of Alexandria, who only just made it to saint - it was touch and
>go in those days.  They either "sainted" people, exiled them, or
>murdered them, depending on the prevailing theological wind and the
>current state of power politics. :-)
>
>Alan
>---------
>THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL:
>Ancient Wisdom for a New Age
>TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk
>http://www,garlic.com/~rdon/TI.html
>
>Alan:

Poor Clemens Alexandrinus may have "just made it to Sainthood"; but he
didn't keep it. I'm sure you know he was "desainted" before much time went
by, and in fact declared a heretic. I am given to understand that his body
was exhumed and burned as part of this activity. Clemens Alexandrinus was
probably the last person known to history who actually knew what
Christianity's intent and purpose was to have been. He was far too
Neo-Platonic for the crowd that subsumed Christianity. It is my very strong
feeling that no matter what Christianity had "going for it" in a positive
way at its very beginning, all of that positivism was cast away by the
unending negativity, rapacity, and destructiveness, that has characterized
Christianity's interaction with human beings ever since about 353 C.E.

All the "good" that can be discovered in Christianity can be traced back
through the Essenes to the actual source which are the Therapeutae. So
perhaps that's where one should transfer one's allegiance. Of course the
Therapeutae were probably based on the Saiitic Mysteries, so shall we seek
there? Of course not. I think we need to take all the "good" we can find
from whatever source and translate it into a conceptual system appropriate
to the 21 st century. If those who can do so don't, then someone else will
"make something up" out of whole cloth and we'll be right back where we started.

fondly:

alexis