Re: Therapeutic Touch

May 29, 1996 11:14 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 05:55 PM 5/29/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Alex,
>I have no idea what goes on in nursing schools, having gone out with two
>nurses in my life and that was enough.  I know that it sure brings them into
>the Olcott hq whenever it's taught.
>
>Chuck
>
>Chuck:

Olcott is a pretty irrelevant place, and as I understand it, it doesn't have
room for too many people. One of my best friends however, is the Chief Nurse
at the San Francisco V.A. Hospital and holds a Master's in Nursing from
Johns Hopkins, which she got over twenty years ago. Therapeutic Touch was
taught at John's Hopkins when she was there, she told me it is taught at
every major school of nursing in the country, and here in San Francisco, she
teaches it, and it's taught at U.C. Medical Center, San Francisco General (a
major teaching hospital). It's also taught down at Stanford Medical Center,
so it's pretty ubiquitous. No one she knows of, who teaches therapeutic
touch, herself included, ever mentions either theosophy of Dora van
Gelder-Kunz. So as usual, the T.S. is just a little fish in a very large
body of water.

One of the things I have come to consider of primary importance to all those
who study either metaphysics or the occult, is to keep aware of everything
that's happening in the world around us. Too many people, both religionists,
and metaphysicians, only talk to one another within their own group. It
results in intellectual incest and total encapsulation. This is disastrous.
It produces a kind of incurable blindness and ignorance that is harmful to
everyone.

You can have no effect on the world around you if you are not a part of the
world around you.

alexis