T.S. in a Rut

May 30, 1996 01:01 AM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Chuck:

[writing to Bjorn]

>The sad truth is that right now the TS is stuck in a serious rut.
>It cannot break new ground without scaring the little old ladies
>half to death and if it doesn't do it quick it won't be around
>to worry about it.

I'd agree that it is in a rut. But I think that the problem is
that it stops short of being a spiritual organization, of making
some living connection with the Mysteries. It remains a book
study club, and does not serve the spiritual needs of its
members or its community.

The typical member is not a "little old lady". The median
age of new members is late 30's or early 40's, and both
sexes are about equally represented.

The only people that I'd expect to be scared by change are
those that aren't open to it in themselves. This is not
fear of the psychic, nor fear of science, nor fear of
meditation -- it's fear of *opening up* and engaging the
inner process of self-genesis.

>My personal feeling (and Eldon is going to have heart
>failure on this) is that our best course is to burn the
>Chohan's letter, which is probably a fraud anyway, and
>aggressively pursue the third object.

I'm not sure why you think that the letter is a fraud.
The third object, referring to latent powers, is far
broader than most would depict it. It includes powers
of the mind, arising out of meditation, contemplation,
and insight, and not simply the ability to product
phenomena, have lucid dreams, see auras, and other
extensions of sense perception.

>The only bright spot in the TS sky is the teaching of
>therapeutic touch, which is clearly a third object activity
>and never fails to bring crowds in.

If all we wanted to do was to "bring crowds in", we'd
best learn from successful cult leaders, TV preachers,
popular politicians, etc. The big draw is in charisma,
false promises, and flattery. Few people want to hear
of the merits of hard work, self-responsibility, delayed
gratification, and slow, patient growth, year after year,
without any expectation of visible signs of growth.

The Theosophy for the millions is the type geared to
"joe sixpack". This version of the philosophy is quite
a bit different than the one that focuses on the
spiritual olympics, that focuses on the quiet, hidden
path that leads to far grander vistas of life!

-- Eldon