Re: Why the Drop in the number of Subscribers?

May 24, 1996 06:15 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

All these theories -- and I could concur with most of them--
are unconvincing to me.  Why?  Last year around this time,
Eldon posted an observation that June was the slowest month in
the history of theos-l.  Medit-l, which had 8 posts a day or so
a few weeks ago, is now down to 2-3.  Basically, as Mark Foster
pointed out in that case, people have better things to do now that warm
weather is here.  Subtract the seasonal effect, and all the
other factors are minimal IMO.

Which is still no reason not to ask ourselves what might make people stay.
Lack of respect for others is the thing that has caused me to
periodically unsubscribe, so the remedy should be obvious:
respect.  Not for views necessarily, but at least for their
right to express them without ridicule or condescension.