Re: Character incompatibility; alt.theosophy

May 24, 1996 03:12 PM
by Martin_Euser

Murray,

I absolutely agree with your analysis - the main key points being
openness, warmth, a willingness to learn ourselves, to share ideas
rather than imposing them on others - indeed who dares to say:
'I know and understand it (theosophy, life) all?'

Murray>There must be hundreds of millions of people around the world whose
 budding intimations of other dimensions of consciousness are crying out
 for even just the beginning of a framework of comprehension and something
 warmer and more encouraging than the attitudes of society at large.
 We need to make sure that any framework we offer is not made of 12 inch
 thick concrete with iron bars over the openings.
 Subtle, appropriate guidance and not just what we've read out of a book
 is the thing, clearly.

Exactly!! We can offer a vision, but, gently and maybe a little bit
'Socratic' if possible.

Murray> Maybe we (the list) could brainstorm the conditions that would make
 this kind of group work and meet the needs - and even be enjoyable!

Well, that's quite another focus of discussion than we have been having
before..
I would suggest (as you did) that *listening* is an important prerequisite
for effective help. Listening, empathy, and at appropriate times, asking
for clarification; gentle guidance through relevant questions and remarks.
That's quite a list already. I'm sure that things will develop, grow out
of experience.

Murray>  Could alt.theosophy do this sort of thing?

Lets try.

Alexis: It is my opinion that the worst thing that can happen to ANY group
 is for all conversation to be limited to incestuous "preaching to the
 choir", that's what causes groups like both Orthodox Theosophists and
 Fundamentalists to be so shocked when they discover there is a whole world
 out there who doesn't agree with them.

Only too true.We have to remember that theosophical teachings are still
veils and not truth itself.

Martin