Re: chohan

May 22, 1996 11:16 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 04:04 PM 5/22/96 -0400, you wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
>This is the first time I have ventured to address this list. I have been
>following it in a digest form for ten weeks and I want to express my
>admiration to all concerned.
>

>( I am not entering "a contest for who can ask the dumbest question of the
>year!" :-)but I have a question or two that I would like some responce or
>pointers to.
>
>There seem to be differences in the use of the words "adept" and "master".
>Would I be right assuming them to be a part of a particular nomenaclature,a
>hierarchical grading system, or are they derived from two such systems?

Alexis responds: As I understand it, "Master" is short for "Master of the
Wisdom" (one can trace it back to the Middle Ages when "Master" was the
highest degree attainable in various guilds etc. ie. "Die Meistersinger von
Nurembutg". It also relates to the apprentice tradition, i,e, "Master" and
"apprentice"), The words Adept and Illuminatus are connected with the
European Occult traditions and they intrinsically mean the same thing as
"Master of the Wisdom". Now Mahatma means the same thing but it is a
Brahmanical and/or Mahayana Buddhist version. According to Helena Blavatsky
"Chohan" mean "Lord", and "Mahachohan" means "Great Lord". That hierarchial
tradition is specifically Theosophical. If my recollection serves, "Chohan"
comes from the Tibetan.

>How does a Chinese pronounce the letter L?
>
>P.S. I could not resist:

The Chinese doesn't, or else does so very carefully and deliberately.