Re: Body by Definition

May 21, 1996 04:02 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Alan:
>   "Body" for me includes the physical,
>etheric, and astral levels [minimum].  Kabalist "Nephesch."

	For me, "body" is any vehicle that consciousness
uses to focus on either a "self" or a "not-self."  Thus I believe
that there is a "body" for each cosmic plane.  What is the
difference, really, between one Body of Light (a mayavi-rupa
by another name) that enters the various planes, or in saying
that consciousness shifts to waiting vehicles on those planes
with appropriate senses.  Not much insofar as experience
is concerned.
	As long as consciousness is aware of a "self" by
any definition, or a "not-self" by any definition, it must, by
definition, be focusing through an appropriate body or
vehicle.  This definition of "body" is not only in accord with
G de P,  HPB, and my own experiences, but is also in
accord with the doctrine of dualism and HPB's three axioms
in her proem to the SD.  There is nothing in the TS literature
that conflicts with it.  However, I agree that we must each
find our own definitions that fit into our worldview, and I
don't think it matters very much from a practical standpoint,
but only from a theoretical standpoint, what those definitions
are.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI